How many times I have had non-matching multiple copies of supposed backups I don’t want to say. Too many! Trying to get those backups into good order can be a herculean task sometimes. It never takes long for various folders to be placed in slightly different folder locations and therefore making checking all important files are backed up becomes a big challenge.
What I would like is a directory mapping tool that shows how two directories compare and they could/should be modified to achieve a desired structure.
Some of the features I would expect:
- A visual map of the directories that showed the directory structure in an intuitive and visual way
- Nodes that would make it easy for matching folders to be identified and ignored
- If a subfolder had files that all matched and the subfolder had the same name, there is no reason to show the files in that folder but it would be nice to maybe give some information about the folder on a mouse over
- If the subfolders had a few different files but were mostly the same, once again, it shouldn’t really show all the files, just those that need copying/removing
- A way to design a folder structure that the user would like and then allow the tool to produce the steps required to achieve that structure for both folders.
- Easy navigation of the folders tree structure with drag and drop functionality so a new folder structure can be easily created and then used
- Recording functionality so it would be possible to view where files originated from
And so much more could be added…